Acne can be painful and embarrassing, and in some cases it can even leave permanent scars. If you’ve been fighting your acne, use the following tips to eliminate it:
1. Start With Impeccable Hygiene
Bad hygiene isn’t the only culprit behind breakouts, but good hygiene habits are the first step to preventing and eliminating acne.
- Wash your face every morning with a gentle cleanser and soft cloth.
- Use an oil free moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated
- Wear minimal makeup and always wash it off before going to bed
- Keep your hair pulled away from your face
- Avoid touching your face with your hands, and wash your hands frequently
- Change your pillowcase at least once a week
2. Protect Your Skin From Sun Damage
It will be harder to prevent breakouts and treat acne if your skin is damaged. Sun damage can also have devastating long-term effects, including skin cancer. Take time to protect yourself by applying sunscreen whenever you go outside and reapplying it throughout the day. It is also wise to wear clothes that cover your arms and legs and a wide brimmed hat to protect your face.
3. Take Time To Relax and De-Stress
Stress can cause breakouts or make them worse, so take time to relax. Listen to music you like, call a friend, take a bubble bath, walk on the beach, or indulge in some retail therapy.
4. Try Over-the-Counter Treatments
For mild breakouts and occasional acne, over-the-counter creams may solve your problems. Most drugstores, grocery stores, and supermarkets carry acne creams. Look for creams with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
5. Visit a Dermatologist
Some types of acne can’t be treated by improving your hygiene and applying over-the-counter products. In this case, you’ll probably need to visit a dermatologist. At Riverside Medical Arts, dermatologists choose a treatment based on the type of acne a patient has. There are three main types of acne: comedonal, inflammatory, and cystic. These types of acne have different causes and require different treatments. A dermatologist can determine which type of acne you are dealing with and choose an appropriate treatment.
To find out more about treating acne, schedule an appointment at Riverside Medical Arts.